Kids and "Conversation"

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Flasher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 319

Kids and "Conversation"

Post by Flasher »

It's been a while since I've stirred things up around here.  Image

Last night, we had family over for dinner.  There were 20 of us here -- teens and adults evenly divided.  At one point in the evening, my niece walked into the kitchen and said to my daughter "Uncle Ron needs a glass of water RN."  My daughter, attempting to play along said "Ill get his water, but I'm not his nurse." (As in RN.)  My niece says "What?"  My daughter says "You called me an RN."  My niece cackles hysterically and says "No, I said RIGHT NOW."  She then said to my daughter "I can't believe you don't know what that means, SMH."  My daughter blew her off and left the room.  I then asked my niece "Did you just say SMH?  What does that mean?"  She said "Shaking my head."  The whole time I'm thinking why not just say "right now" and why not just shake your head in real life?

Does anyone else encounter this stuff?  Another thing that rubbed me the wrong way was a letter I got from my doctor's office yesterday.  The date actually read July 29, 2K16.  Why?  Is it really so much harder to type a 0 than a K?

I know that I'm sort of a luddite.  I believe technology is in too many things that interfere with everyday life.  I'm not saying there are not benefits to it.  I'm saying I think some people are losing the ability to communicate, function, or even thing without some sort of device.  My sister-in-law acted like I had the plague when I told her that we only have a Trac Phone and a Consumer Cellular phone, and that texting was disabled on both devices.  She said "My gosh, how do you guys get messages to each other?"  I replied "We actually talk."  She said "I'd be lost without my hubby's "I love you" texts."  I said "I'd be lost without the sound of my hubby's voice actually saying "I love you".  She said it's the same.  Image

Anyone else have an opinion? 

OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

CarrieG
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1781

Re: Kids and "Conversation"

Post by CarrieG »

we are not a super technological family....I try and limit it......I would've been peeved also...ummm hello you don't talk in abbreviations....might mean something bad to someone else..hehehehe  I think its lazy and classless.....and wont bode well in the professional world at all...unless of course you work for a hipster co...that has granola breaks.  I also do not like the attitude that someone is lesser if they don't know something *cool*.......arrrg

my technology peeve is how much info--tons of it incorrect can be shot worldwide in seconds........and how so much instant media coverage tends to make things worse than better...sigh   I remember when you had to wait for the news to come on at night....sigh
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3695

Post by blbabe1234 »

I'm pretty techno-savvy here, but I would not talk in abbreviations! I text like that sometimes....but that's different. I still prefer to hear someone's voice over a text convo..unless of course we're having a party and someone texts me "On my way". Or when someone is sick or recovering from surgery...its easier to text than talk (I didnt say a word the first 24 hrs after my septum was fixed. It hurt too much).

I agree with Carrie....the youngins are getting lazy and its definetly not classy. And professionals would REJECT that resume (or would hope so!). I'm a computer programmer, so I write in code all day...which is different..HOWEVER...my emails to my client are professionally written as well as documents that I might write up for her (pros/cons on using something newer vs staying with what she has, etc). There's a time and place for abbreviations and TALKING isn't one of them!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
christinec68
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 254

Post by christinec68 »

That's funny but it isn't.  I don't speak in abbreviations but one time I caught myself doing something and thought "blah blah blah DH blah blah"  Not his name I thought D H.  
Flasher
Cherry Crush

Post by Flasher »

I just got back from Kohl's.  I was in the Juniors' section shopping for my daughter's birthday when I saw two teens looking at t-shirts.  The first teen picked up a shirt and said to the other "Look at this, lol."  I kid you not.  She actually said "lol" in conversation.  Not only did she not actually "laugh", but she didn't even do it "out loud".  Yikes.  Image
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

Flasher
Cherry Crush

Post by Flasher »

And just for the record, I am not against texting at all.  I just don't want to have conversations in "text".  Image

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 »

Laura wrote:I just got back from Kohl's.  I was in the Juniors' section shopping for my daughter's birthday when I saw two teens looking at t-shirts.  The first teen picked up a shirt and said to the other "Look at this, lol."  I kid you not.  She actually said "lol" in conversation.  Not only did she not actually "laugh", but she didn't even do it "out loud".  Yikes.  Image

Oh goodness, are you kidding me? That. Is. Horrible. What is WRONG with teenagers these days?
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 »

Laura wrote:And just for the record, I am not against texting at all.  I just don't want to have conversations in "text".  Image

I know!!! ImageImageImageImage
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

sdwhru
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 358

Post by sdwhru »

It is ridiculous how much we depend on technology as a society.  From setting the security systems, turning off the lights, etc.  People spend way too much time "looking down" (into a phone) anymore.  I see couples with kids and the kids are getting NO attention or getting yelled at only - no quality time anymore.  I've taken a break from FB as I can't tolerate all the things on it right now.  Technology as computers for works is great (when they work with no problems ;)) but it is disrupting too many lives/families anymore.  DSD thought at 13 she had every "right" to have a cell phone.  Give me a break.
Flasher
Cherry Crush

Post by Flasher »

Another thing that makes me sad is being at Cedar Point and watching parents (usually young parents in their 20's and 30's) completely engaged in their phones while with their kids and families.  I've seen so many kids saying "Hey mommy!' or "Look Daddy", only to see the parent just say "I see", but never actually look up.  Image

average_kim
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 846

Post by average_kim »

I agree with all everyone has said, but I would also be peeved at the uncle for demanding a drink "right now". And the niece for passing on that order the way she did as well. It's not just text-speak with most of the young people, it's attitudes as well... 
Kim

Image Image  
Flasher
Cherry Crush

Post by Flasher »

average_kim wrote:I agree with all everyone has said, but I would also be peeved at the uncle for demanding a drink "right now". And the niece for passing on that order the way she did as well. It's not just text-speak with most of the young people, it's attitudes as well... 
Agreed.   

Shutterbug
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 592

Post by Shutterbug »

I agree with all that has been said.  I have found out that relatives like nephews / nieces are in the ER for serious things on FB. When they post pictures. Or they say, Oh I sent a text to the family.  Jason and I do not have texting. on our phones  We do not have them at this point and yes they would make our lives easier in ways with our vision loss and access to things we otherwise could not do for example, There is  an APP  that you can take a photo of something and it will tell you what it is. That would be awesome for us to have.  BUT,  not at this point.

My dad was telling of a time he took a group to dinner and they all sat on their phones texting. Great Company for ones birthday right?  I could go on.

Sitting here SMH ... RN.   at the way kids are today.  -  Really? How can one communicate. I had to just in the Abbreviations since they fit. Cannot imagine talking that way. I have a heart time even with the computer abbreviates.

Kimber
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not sure.

Return to “General Debate”