non-stick craft mat

Moderator: ACOT Employee

traveler
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 750

non-stick craft mat

Post by traveler »

I currently have 2 craft mats on my desk next to each other: a self-healing mat that I can use for cutting and a thinner "non-stick" mat that I can use for glue and mess and just wipe off. (If I'm really messing, I use wax paper, but I use this for moderate messes). 

As I have mentioned, I am moving slowly and have craft desks in both houses for now. At the new house, I have a large desk. I already got a nice self-healing mat, but I need a non-stick mat. I'm not moving the one here because I'm still using it and also it is in terrible condition. 

I found a couple of non-stick ones in the store here that might be what I'm looking for. I would like a large one. Any suggestions or recomendations?
Louise

Image Image Image Image Image

DN in MN
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 444

Re: non-stick craft mat

Post by DN in MN »

I love my Tim Holtz glass mat and rarely use any other for my mixed media stuff.   I have the Ranger brown one that comes out on occasion but haven't used it since getting the glass one.  I guess the best advice I can give you is this.... If you can handle the glass one being on the desk and if it is still available, it is awesome.  If not, I would get one you can roll up and store so it is out of the way.  I am lucky to have a spot on my counter for it to sit out all the time so it doesn't effect my self heal mat on the other side. 

Search: craft mat > The Best Ever Craft Mat - Ken Oliver: A Cherry On Top

This one seems to be similar to the one I have but actually bigger.  

Good luck :) 
2024 Layout goal ~ 6/100      2024 Word ~ FOCUS

MTCanuk
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 2028

Post by MTCanuk »

I also have the brown Ranger one.  I adhered it to something so it is not always rolling up on me.  It works great when using distress inks and wipes off nicely.  
I also have a glass mat. Not Tim Holtz.  It was from a long time ago when I use to have a Slice. I am sure it works as well as the Tim Holtz one and why reinvent the wheel.  I am all about using what you have.  It works great when using mixed media and wipes clean very easily.  
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Leslee

joannie
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2436

Post by joannie »

Amazon has a jumbo mat that is 16" x 36". I have shopped for one before. I have 2 standard size mats that sometimes I lay side by side to cover more of my desk top. 
- joannie

Image Image ImageImageImage
traveler
Cherry Cola

Post by traveler »

DN in MN wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 am
I love my Tim Holtz glass mat and rarely use any other for my mixed media stuff.   I have the Ranger brown one that comes out on occasion but haven't used it since getting the glass one.  I guess the best advice I can give you is this.... If you can handle the glass one being on the desk and if it is still available, it is awesome.  If not, I would get one you can roll up and store so it is out of the way.  I am lucky to have a spot on my counter for it to sit out all the time so it doesn't effect my self heal mat on the other side. 

I definitely have enough space for glass. The only Tim Holtz glass one I see here is a left-handed one. Is that the one you re talking about?

Louise

traveler
Cherry Cola

Post by traveler »

MTCanuk wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:48 am
I also have the brown Ranger one.  I adhered it to something so it is not always rolling up on me.  It works great when using distress inks and wipes off nicely.  
I also have a glass mat. Not Tim Holtz.  It was from a long time ago when I use to have a Slice. I am sure it works as well as the Tim Holtz one and why reinvent the wheel.  I am all about using what you have.  It works great when using mixed media and wipes clean very easily.  

I'm not familiar with the Ranger brown one. 
Louise

DN in MN
Wild Cherry

Post by DN in MN »

trainmom wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:15 am
DN in MN wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 am

I definitely have enough space for glass. The only Tim Holtz glass one I see here is a left-handed one. Is that the one you re talking about?

Yes, that is the one I am talking about but I have right handed one so I am not sure if they are still making them.  

DN in MN
Wild Cherry

Post by DN in MN »

MTCanuk wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:48 am

You are correct as I had a WRMK glass mat for the fuse that worked just as well.  I got a really good deal on the Tim Holtz one at a Stamp and Scrapbook Expo and love it is bigger. 

JAire
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 949

Post by JAire »

How you, personally, use mats is what is important to figure out.
My preference is the have the glass mat out pretty much always. Being a little larger than 12x12 I like it for working on a layout. Anything else I may be doing is fine, too. Not too long ago I picked up "Wendy Vecchi Make Art" that I stick under my desk for when I want it. I like that it is magnetic and I can use the magnets to hold stuff down. I thought I'd like it for watercolor, but realize I'm better off using the glass and tape.
As for the brown non-stick mat from Inkssentials that have been around forever, I have it folded in half and stuck in my cart next to my work area handy to do my pasting on. Easy to move away, and I do usually wipe it right away, but am sure not to lay something on it and get paste/glue where I don't want it. Easy peasy. 
Joyce Ann
ImageImageImageImageImage

sdwhru
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 358

Post by sdwhru »

I have the WRMK media mat (I think that is what it's called) it is 18 X 24 - I like the big size.  On the other size of my desk I have the CutterPillar Glow with a cutting mat on it.  
traveler
Cherry Cola

Post by traveler »

I use a large sewing mat which is good for cutting (self healing) and has the inch markings. I have plenty of space and I want to put something on the other side that is good for glue and inks. I have the roll up kind now, but I leave it out all the time. I think the glass is a good idea, I had never thought of that before. 
Louise

Return to “Product Requests”