May's Emerald Green birthstone and May flowers challenge

Moderator: ACOT Employee

sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 733

May's Emerald Green birthstone and May flowers challenge

Post by sherelm »

I had so much fun doing this with another group of gals from London, and was amazed at the outcome. So I decided as soon as Kristin asked me to host a challenge - I'd do this.

First some things to say - there is NO RIGHT layout at the end. This is done "Blindly" (but I will post my layout next Saturday) - it's to interpret the directions as YOU see them. And also, to have the right as the designer of your own page to say "Nah, that won't work for me." This is up to you to follow to a "T" or to go off here and there. But the fun is, with the same basic set of directions, to see how far and what each person does with them in the end.
I really REALLY encourage you NOT to peek at the gallery until you have finished your own layout, or wait to post until Saturday if you would rather do that, because if you get influenced, we all will have carbon copies pretty much.

I've posted the supplies first, again - and now you get the rest of the "instructions". HAVE FUN. I know I did, and was WOWED at the outcome!!

SUPPLIES NEEDED:
1. An Emerald sheet of 12x12 Cardstock
2. 2 Patterned Papers – one a very small non-specific print (dots, swirls, plaid, etc.) and the other one a bright pretty floral (flowers large enough to cut out and/or cluster – both papers should be able to coordinate with the emerald cardstock.
3. Two lettering options – one big/one small (emerald green would look great here)
4. Pull a bunch of chipboard, diecuts, embellishments, etc., that are greens and some coordinating florals - you will need a few chip boards , die cuts, or larger stickers though, no matter what your embellishments. (you can also cut them from your die cutting machine)
5. Either ribbon, washi tape, baker's twine, thread, to match that emerald – you can have one, two, or all three of these options. We are using this for texture
6. PHOTOS: you need three 4x6 prints – all the same orientation – 3 portraits, or three landscapes.

MAY EMERALD and FLORAL layout Directions:
1) Adhere your three photos tight together in a straight line on the Emerald cardstock –
a) For portraits – they will be across the page, 1" from the bottom
b) For landscapes – they will be 1" from the left hand side of the page going top to bottom

2) Cut a ½ inch strip of the small print and place it against the photos partially and merge into the one inch border

3) Cut a narrow strip from the second patterned paper. This can be cut with a border punch as well and cut really thin – about ¼ of an inch. Put this piece on top of the ½" border

4) Pick out the largest flat shape you have in diecuts (not bigger than 3x4 though!) and mat it with the small print paper.

5) Now choose two smaller die cuts that when placed side by side are roughly the same width as the large matted die cut. Adhere these three to the layout in this order: large piece on the bottom to the right of your photos but either flush against or overlapping the photo a bit, and the other two above the large one flush with pictures as well as each die cut touching. If you are doing horizontal photos – start on the far right with the big one and move across to the right from the left. (DO NOT BE UPSET if you aren't sure you are doing it correctly – THERE IS no wrong way – it's how you are interpreting these directions!)

6) Cut a flower from your larger floral paper – add pop dots or foam tape and add to the top of the two smaller die cuts. Select a smaller round embellishment that can be a center or accent to the flower. Attach

7) Now build either up or more to the left (if horizontal photos) this collection along the photo by adding another embellishment. Something long and thin works well here. . . ???

8) Use the washi tape, ribbon, or baker's wine in three places on your page: far corner of the photos, and on either side of the "embellishment area". Be creative!

9) Sprinkle some more emeralds on your layout here and there – these can be Stickles, green rhinestones, glitter, etc.

10) Add title with letter stickers. Layer it over the embellishments! (Keep it legible!)

11) Complete the page with your writing and use the smaller letter stickers for names, dates, or smaller words in your title.

12) Does it need anything else? Feel free to add what else to make it yours. Can't wait to see it!
Babushka
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 1

Re: May's Emerald Green birthstone and May flowers challenge

Post by Babushka »

Wow I can't wait to make one of my own!
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee

Post by sherelm »

You will see how much they all differ, not just in pictures. We had all designers doing it - and you would have thought we were told nothing!!
stateless
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 335

Post by stateless »

This is going to be an interesting challenge! I can't wait to see the results from everyone!!
- Valerie/stateless
cat1393
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 221

Post by cat1393 »

sounds different. and it will get me out of the box!

Christine
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee

Post by sherelm »

And no one will say you did it wrong, because you didn't!! You did it your way. Maybe I should have called it the Frank Sinatra challenge!?
suewho372
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 939

Post by suewho372 »

this sounds AWESOME!! Can't wait to work on it!!
Susan

Deanna13
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 5417

Post by Deanna13 »

Sounds interesting! :)
Image Image ImageImage
letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 846

Post by letumom »

Too cool!
Laurie

PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

How cool! Maybe I'll have time for this on Monday - I have Christmas pics so green's good but I don't know if they're the right size. We'll see!
Image Image
VIOLETSDR
Cherry Blossom

Post by VIOLETSDR »

Exciting challenge--very different!
MoochieMama
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 59

Post by MoochieMama »

This sounds like a LOT of fun.
Michelle

sherelm
Cherry Jubilee

Post by sherelm »

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did the first time I played it. It really was fun!!!
oceanbreezes423
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 2131

Post by oceanbreezes423 »

wow, I had to print the directions, this will take some work, but I am anxious to see what happens!
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image
writerlady
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 448

Post by writerlady »

This is gonna be fun!
Please stop by my blog,Writerlady's Craftroom

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3695

Post by blbabe1234 »

Oh wow Sher! This is gonna be so fun!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
kguercio
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 190

Post by kguercio »

So cool, can't wait to see how these turn out!
****Kelly****
love2stamp
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 1032

Post by love2stamp »

very cool challenge, can't wait to do it.
ImageImageImageImage
letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 846

Post by letumom »

This is going to have to wait until tomorrow. I'm so tired I can't think right now.
Laurie

Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2322

Post by Art_Teacher »

Wow! I had to print out all those instructions. LOL! This looks like fun!
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image

Return to “NSD Crop 2013”