Best inks for stamping?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

SandyJay
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 499

Best inks for stamping?

Post by SandyJay »

I have just acquired a stamp and die set.  I have a few distress oxides and inks.  What is your best go to for stamps?  Some of the TH don’t seem to stamp that well.  Thanks in advance for any advice.  
lisn2cats
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 449

Re: Best inks for stamping?

Post by lisn2cats »

I read somewhere that the TH weren't designed for "clean and crisp" stamping. There are many fine inks out there - 

Catherine Pooler pads are SO juicy...but I find that sometimes they are just too juicy that I end up making a mess and getting ink where I don't want it (usually my hands, arms, legs, face).

Versafine Clair and Staz-On pads are super-crisp and because they're pigment, they're water resistant.

Both of the above also are good for embossing powders because they take longer to dry, giving you time to sprinkle, cap the jar, and heat.

For dye inks, I really like Altenew's line and Gina K ink pads. Both ink crisply (I think) and dry fast too.

Then, again, I"m not much of a stamper (but I do know what smears the most!)
Image  ImageImageImage
SandyJay
Cherry Bomb

Post by SandyJay »

Lisn2cats wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:19 pm
I read somewhere that the TH weren't designed for "clean and crisp" stamping. There are many fine inks out there - 

Catherine Pooler pads are SO juicy...but I find that sometimes they are just too juicy that I end up making a mess and getting ink where I don't want it (usually my hands, arms, legs, face).

Versafine Clair and Staz-On pads are super-crisp and because they're pigment, they're water resistant.

Both of the above also are good for embossing powders because they take longer to dry, giving you time to sprinkle, cap the jar, and heat.

For dye inks, I really like Altenew's line and Gina K ink pads. Both ink crisply (I think) and dry fast too.

Then, again, I"m not much of a stamper (but I do know what smears the most!)
Thanks so much, Lis!  That’s a big help! 

StacyLee
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 927

Post by StacyLee »

I’m a Catherine Pooler fan all the way when it comes to inks. The first couple of pads I purchased I thought the same as Lisa, because I was so used to felt ink pads where I really had to press the stamp firmly. CP are foam and very juicy, I had ink all over 😂. After watching some YouTube lives and playing with them CP are what I reach for 99% of the time. You just need a light tap, tap and they stamp so crisply! If you see my ACOT gallery, you’ll see I’m a fan 😁

For coloring with Copics or Triblends my preference is definitely Memento.
Last edited by StacyLee on Mon May 13, 2024 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stacy

ImageImageImage

SandyK1967
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 709

Post by SandyK1967 »

I don't know a whole lot about inks, but I usually use the Ranger "Archival" for stamping and they work great. They do have some of the Tim Holtz colors in the archival kind. But I do not use the regular Tim Holtz regular distress inks or oxides for stamping.
👋 ~~Sandy~~ 👋 Image
~HAPPY NATIONAL SCRAPBOOK DAY 2024!~
SandyJay
Cherry Bomb

Post by SandyJay »

StacyLeeD wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:30 pm
I’m a Catherine Pooler fan all the way when it comes to inks. The first couple of pads I purchased I thought the same as Lisa, because I was so used to felt ink pads where I really had to press the stamp firmly. CP are foam and very juicy, I had ink all over 😂. After watching some YouTube lives and playing with them CP are what I reach for 99% of the time. You just need a light tap, tap and they stamp so crisply! If you see my ACOT gallery, you’ll see I’m a fan 😁

For coloring with Copics or Triblends my preference is definitely Memento.

My friend bought the Catherine Pooler and I tried it, and “juicy” was the word I used!  Thank you for your valuable input.  I have watched MANY of your videos, now you have me sold!  I am off to see what colors I want to start with. 
SandyJay
Cherry Bomb

Post by SandyJay »

SandyK1967 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:31 pm
I don't know a whole lot about inks, but I usually use the Ranger "Archival" for stamping and they work great. They do have some of the Tim Holtz colors in the archival kind. But I do not use the regular Tim Holtz regular distress inks or oxides for stamping.

I have the sepia and the black, they are great!  I think the TH are more for mixed media, now that I have played a little with them.  Thank you! 
JAire
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 949

Post by JAire »

I love the Versafine for crisp and beautiful coverage every time, with the exception of the occasional clear stamp. Perfect for sentiment, too.
I have always had good detail with Memento as well. So, my vote is for any of the Tsukneko for crisp detail. You can still stamp with the others.
Joyce Ann
ImageImageImageImageImage

wimom
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 671

Post by wimom »

Definitely prefer Versafine, especially the Onyx Black for crisp lines.
Rhonda -- Scrappin' in Wisconsin
VickiR
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 1361

Post by VickiR »

I agree with all of the above!!  Distress Inks aren't for stamping.  Great for blending and backgrounds, both the regular distress and the oxide distress.  As a new stamper, I preferred Memento Inks and still use them frequently, black, brown, red, green and a few others.  The Versafine is another favorite of mine. I have it in black and sepia.  As far as Catherine Pooler, I think they are for a more experienced stamper, for sure.  I have the Black Jack and it took me a while to get use to it.  It is VERY juicy and can be quite messy.  Keep a package of baby wipes handy!  They're great for wiping up messy ink.
SandyJay
Cherry Bomb

Post by SandyJay »

JAire wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:48 pm
I love the Versafine for crisp and beautiful coverage every time, with the exception of the occasional clear stamp. Perfect for sentiment, too.
I have always had good detail with Memento as well. So, my vote is for any of the Tsukneko for crisp detail. You can still stamp with the others.

I just used some really old Versafine minis I had, I couldn’t believe they were still good!  Thanks, I will look into those too.  I really like their clear embossing pad.  
SandyJay
Cherry Bomb

Post by SandyJay »

VickiR wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:06 pm
I agree with all of the above!!  Distress Inks aren't for stamping.  Great for blending and backgrounds, both the regular distress and the oxide distress.  As a new stamper, I preferred Memento Inks and still use them frequently, black, brown, red, green and a few others.  The Versafine is another favorite of mine. I have it in black and sepia.  As far as Catherine Pooler, I think they are for a more experienced stamper, for sure.  I have the Black Jack and it took me a while to get use to it.  It is VERY juicy and can be quite messy.  Keep a package of baby wipes handy!  They're great for wiping up messy ink.

Oooohhhh…I am certainly not experienced, but I sure am messy!  Hmmm….such decisions!  
SandyJay
Cherry Bomb

Post by SandyJay »

wimom wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:52 pm
Definitely prefer Versafine, especially the Onyx Black for crisp lines.

Another vote for Versafine!  
lisn2cats
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 449

Post by lisn2cats »

I think you should buy every single black ink pad you can find and do a blog/video!!! I also think that inks are a little bit subjective - and depends on the result you want to achieve. The only time I need true precision (another reason why I don’t make a lot cards) is when I need stamp a sentiment. THANK GOODNESS for stamping platforms. I don’t think I could live without my 12x12 and standard Misti platforms! I envy everyone who just stamps with abandon and get amazing results!!!
Image  ImageImageImage
CarrieG
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1781

Post by CarrieG »

I love Catherine Pooler ink pads
SandyJay
Cherry Bomb

Post by SandyJay »

Lisn2cats wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 10:40 pm
I think you should buy every single black ink pad you can find and do a blog/video!!! I also think that inks are a little bit subjective - and depends on the result you want to achieve. The only time I need true precision (another reason why I don’t make a lot cards) is when I need stamp a sentiment. THANK GOODNESS for stamping platforms. I don’t think I could live without my 12x12 and standard Misti platforms! I envy everyone who just stamps with abandon and get amazing results!!!
LOL!  I Am retired, but I have other things I wish to do with my time, however, that idea will be kept in my back pocket!  I do have a stamping platform.  I kind wish I had one with hinges, but this one works.  
VALERIE 03/22
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 437

Post by VALERIE 03/22 »

JAire wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:48 pm
I HAVE TO AGREE................... I LIKE MY VERSAFINE THE BEST FOR BLACK INK AND THEN MEMENTO.................... VALERIE

VALERIE 03/22
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 437

Post by VALERIE 03/22 »

Mommytron wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 10:08 pm
VickiR wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:06 pm

Oooohhhh…I am certainly not experienced, but I sure am messy!  Hmmm….such decisions!   
YES BABY WIPES ARE GOOD TO HAVE ON HAND FOR INKY MESSES PLUS USE ON YOUR STAMP TO CLEAN................ BABY WIPES ARE THE BEST CHOICE FOR THAT.................... VALERIE

Jessica Mikels
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 140

Post by Jessica Mikels »

The Distress line was definitely not made for precision anything lol I don't do much precision stamping in my mixed media world but when I do, I love to use Versafine Onyx Black Ink! It's clean and crisp. I have one CP ink pad and found out real quick why it's a stampers choice. Very juicy, offered in an array of colors (I've been eye balling the metallics) and they stamp nicely. Let us know what you end going with!
JessicaMikelsCreativeDesigns.com
Instagram: @
jessicamikels
YouTube: @Jessica.Mikels

Image ImageImageImage
Mycreativerootscrafts
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 198

Post by Mycreativerootscrafts »

I have over 100 Catherine Pooler Inks. I would say I'm a huge fan of her inks. 😁 I've tried other companies like pinkfresh, simon says stamps and of course Tim Holtz. When it comes to consistent coverage and stamping. Catherine Pooler is top notch. Make sure to invest in the reinker. It's important to keep the ink pad saturated. I love my Tim Holtz for all my distress needs. You can accomplish so much in mixed media with the stain and oxides with Tim's products. It just depends on what you use the ink primarily for. Because I do a lot of clean and simple techniques and cards. Catherine Pooler inks gives the clean coverage I desire. I love pinkfresh for my pinkfresh stencils and products. But if I had to choose I will always choose the foam ink pads over the others. I love the saturation. Catherine Pooler Inks does wonderfully when used for watercoloring. Lots of versatility with her inks. Trust me I have tried everything with them.
Always grateful for this journey, Flora

Instagram @mycreativerootscrafts

ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”